Ulutham paruppu chutney is the first thing that comes to my mind when I think about long train journey. My childhood picnics were never complete without the spongy idlis accompanied with this spicy and tasty Urad dal chutney – Ulutham paruppu chutney. Now, I make this chutney almost every week and my kids love it. Its a tasty chutney that goes well with idli, dosa and even rice. Omit the coconut and this chutney will stay fresh for longer and is perfect to be carried along while traveling.
Urad dal chutney - Ulutham paruppu chutney
By October 16, 2012Published:
- Yield: 1 cup (2 Servings)
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 5 mins
- Ready In: 10 mins
A perfect chutney for idli, dosa and rice.
- 2 tablespoons Urad dal ulutham paruppu
- 8 Shallots
- 1 Tomato
- 2 Green chillies
- 3 tablespoons Coconut grated
- a small piece Tamarind
- 1 teaspoon Mustard and urad dal
- a few Curry leaves
- to taste Salt
- for sauting Gingeley oil
- Heat a wok and add the urad dal. Fry till its golden brown and transfer to a plate. Let it cool.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in the same wok and saute the shallots. Add tomato and green chillies and saute for two minutes. Remove from fire and let it cool.
- Grind the fried urad dal, shallot-tomato mixture along with coconut, tamarind and salt into a coarse chutney.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a wok, add mustard seeds and few urad dal. Add curry leaves and fry.
- Pour this over the chutney. The tasty urad dal chutney is ready to be served with hot idli or dosa.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress