Chow chow kootu is a very common curry in South India. Usually served with kara kulambu or poondu kulambu, this chow chow kootu is very subtle in spiciness but rich in taste. Cooked with moong dal and coconut, kids will love it when served with hot rice and ghee or gingeley oil.
Chow Chow Kootu
By March 24, 2013Published:
- Yield: 1 bowl (3 Servings)
- Cook: 10 mins
Soft and tender cubes of chow chow cooked with moong dal and coconut.
- 1 Chow Chow peeled and cubed
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Green chillies
- 2 tablespoon Moong Dal
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds and urad dal
- few Cumin
- 2 tablespoon Coconut grated
- to taste Salt
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- few Curry leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- few Shallots
- In a pressure pan, add the diced chow chow, moong dal, shallots, chilli, salt and turmeric powder. Add little water and cook for 5 minutes or 1 whistle.
- Once the pressure subsides, open and add the grated coconut and cook on medium flame until the remaining water evaporates.
- In another small pan, add oil, add the mustard seeds, urad dal, cumin. Once they splutter add the onions and curry leaves and saute. Add this to the kootu and mix well.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with hot rice and ghee for kids.
- This chow chow kootu tastes best when served with poondu kulambu and appalam.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress